del.icio.us custom size

Google Docs Presentation

I am taking an online course from Region One in Texas. "Region One 2.0: 23 Things is based on the Public Library of Charlotte Mecklenburg Countys Learning 2.0 Program, created by Helene Blowers, on CSLAs School Library Learning 2.0, Spring Branch ISDs Library2Play and other similar programs from around the world under a Creative Commons license. http://esc1library.blogspot.com/

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Thing #14 Technorati and learn how tags and Thing #15 Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the future of libraries (Week 6 Tagging, Folksonomies & Technorati)

Twitters or blogs could be used for talking about or critiquing a book in a class or in reading club. (Writing journals every day.)

I find I am in the middle of Web 2.0 and regular library the part I have not used I did not know.

I claimed my blog last Friday and at work today I was looking something up on Google reader and I saw my blog on it, cool. I also went to Technorati and and it had my blog on the things I had RSS'ed. It was a neat feeling and also makes you think about the thought you could be there for a long time. Kind of made me think about how a writer feels when you write your first book or how I felt after seeing my artwork in someones house I didn't know. It also made me think about my mistakes being around for a long time. Kind of bittersweet.

Today, I found the site about L4L which deals with the Standards for the 21st-Century Learner and it being implemented into the Library in Fall 2008. That will change our lesson plans. This is all being changed in every discipline. It is all dealing with higher level thinking.

AASL, Intellectual Freedom, 21st-Century Learner:
http://www.aasl.ala.org/aaslblog/2008/07/16/aasl-news-18/
http://www.ala.org/ala/aasl/aaslproftools/learningstandards/standards.cfm
http://www.ala.org/ala/aasl/aaslproftools/learningstandards/AASL_LearningStandards.pdf
http://www.aasl.ala.org/aaslblog/2008/07/24/aasl-charlotte-and-web-20/

What Is Intellectual Freedom? What is the ALA Code of Ethics? How does it affect me?
http://www.ala.org/ala/aasl/aaslissues/aasl_intellectual_freedom_brochure.pdf

I know this is a bit off the topic but then again it isn't.

I always detested having the Google Tool bar on my computer so I had it turned off. I was doing these THINGS and I saw something that talked about bookmarks. It said you could use the bookmarks at work and at home. This got me interested in using the Google Tool Bar. So, I opened it up and saved some of the sites there. I didn't read any where on how to use it so I added to Bookmarks like I do on Favorites. Then, last week, I noticed that in the dialog box it said to label it. I labeled it like I would a tag, without the comma in-between the words.

Part of the week went by and I kept adding to the Bookmarks. As I learned more about Tagging, I began to realize labeling and tagging were one and the same. Now, I am on my way to Tagging like a pro. I understand that Tagging can be daunting when you look at the Tag cloud, but just like in writing curriculum, you have to account for the differences in people. For example, some teachers will put 1st while others put first. When trying to search for something I find I have to second guess the tags put on the website. Though I have gotten good at searching on Google, I find this tag cloud much appreciated. So, yes, it is hard to look through the Tag Cloud but then when you stumble on your terminology it is easier. The cloud is a plus also. I also figured out how to use the tagging.

I learned how to tag something as Professional Development, Library, K-3, Lower Elementary, Fairy Tales, Online Stories, etc. and realized how nice it is not go through my file folders trying to figure out which file folder I put the websites in. I am able to work on a project and go to one file folder and know all the sites I need for the project will be there.

So, this means I need to go back and change my tags here.

1 comment:

ESC1 said...

I resisted tagging and other 2.0 applications for a few months too, and now I don't know what I'd do without Google Tools and del.icio.us and other "stuff."