del.icio.us custom size

Google Docs Presentation

I am taking an online course from Region One in Texas. "Region One 2.0: 23 Things is based on the Public Library of Charlotte Mecklenburg Countys Learning 2.0 Program, created by Helene Blowers, on CSLAs School Library Learning 2.0, Spring Branch ISDs Library2Play and other similar programs from around the world under a Creative Commons license. http://esc1library.blogspot.com/

Monday, August 4, 2008

Thing #9 library related blogs and/or news feeds (Week 4 RSS & Newsreaders) Revisited

When on Bloglines last night I noticed the area with Websites and tried it out for Children's books online. I got some more sites to add to my curriculum. I also went back to other sites I like to see if they had Feeds and added some feeds from those sites. I found some fave sites still don't have them. I also used the Google feed. The odd thing is I used these before because I found my email addresses there. But I didn't keep up with them for lack of understanding. It makes a difference to know what is being done and why.

When searching for "life long learners" on Bloglines I found this blog site Tech Tips & Timely Tidbits Cathy Nelson was commenting on Teacher and Librarians and their not being life long learners. I have mixed feelings on this topic. I have seen it both ways. It is sad to say there are those out there that don't learn something new each day and don't care to learn. They want others to give them their next tidbit. I find the Internet overwhelming with information and get side tracked with the information I am looking for by information that adds to other interests. What I notice by reading several other blogs as well is: There are those teachers that are life long learners and there are those that aren't and those that aren't have not learned what is out there. Sometimes, you just have to open the eyes of those that have lost their desire to learn. This is a new time and a new age of learning. It use to be most went to colleges to learn and they got credit for proof of their learning. Now you can learn even if no one knows you have achieved a Doctorate without the degree.

I have been reading about many people who have the same thoughts as myself... Will the school open up the Web 2.0 tools? Is this going to be like everything else we have gone through... teaching us how to go beyond and blocking our use of the beyond. Many times I have been trained in things and then not given the programs or given them 2 years later and I don't remember the workshops.

I checked out the Kids National Geographics on BlogPulse. Figured out how you could use it. When looking at the graph I extended it to 6 months. Then clicked on the tips of the highs and it showed several sections of the site where kids were Blogging the topic. This could be a great way to check the trends of a site kids read and use that topic in the lessons. Great way to know student's topics and find books in that area or showcase the books in the library. It took some time to figure out how to use it but after persevering I give it a thumbs up!

HAS ANYONE FOUND THIS?

I get a yellowish square on my computer after visiting Edublogs. I can't get it off my computer until I close the Internet. Is there another way? I have to save everything then close. Sometimes, you just don't want to close. It blocks an area of my Internet an I have to read around it.

1 comment:

ESC1 said...

I haven't see that before.